Getting Started Learning at Home
Saskatchewan Polytechnic is committed to ensuring high quality programs and delivery to students during these unprecendented times and restrictions to on campus access. For Fall 2021, Sask Polytech is moving to a blended learning model. This page is meant to assist students who are engaged in online learning.
If you have specific questions, please contact your program head or instructor.
The information below is a great place to start to ensure a seamless transition to
learning from home.
Attend a live session on Getting Started Online.
Find information on Student Financial Support.
Find information related to Student Orientation.
Find information on Accessibility Services.
Find answers to your FAQs.
Find solutions to computer or login problems.
Contact the Help Desk.
We recommend using a desktop or laptop computer for the best experience; however, all elements of the Sask Polytech environment can be accessed with a smartphone.
- Desktop/Laptop- Make sure your computer has 10GB or more free space.
- Have a webcam/headset with a microphone to participate in online classes.
- Phones/Tablets - Are recommended to be 3 years old or newer.
- Windows 10, Windows 8
- Mac - OS X Yosemite or higher
- iOS (iPhone/iPad) - Current within the two most recent versions
- Android - Current with the last four major versions
In partnership with Dell, Saskatchewan Polytechnic is offering a Laptop Purchase Program. Students can choose from select Dell models at discounted prices. Refer to the specifications below to choose a model suitable to the program that you’re enrolled in. Please note that these specifications are a guideline based on program requirements, students may purchase the model they prefer.
Hospitality and Tourism
Human Services & Community Safety
|All from Option 1
Information & Communication Technology
|All from Option 1 & 2
Mining, Energy & Manufacturing
Natural Resources & Built Environment
|Operating System||Windows Home or Pro|
|Processor||Intel Core i3 or higher||Intel Core i7 or higher||Intel Core i7|
|Memory||8GB or higher||8GB or higher||16GB or higher|
|Hard Disk Drive||128GB or higher||512GB or higher||512GB or higher|
|Video (Display Adapter)||Shared integrated graphics||Shared integrated graphics||Dedicated graphics memory|
|Screen Size or Resolution||14" 1366x768 min or higher recommended||14" 1366x768 min or higher recommended||15" 1920x1080 min or higher|
|Multimedia||Good Sound, Web Cam, Microphone|
|Ethernet LAN||Standard Ethernet ports are common on most newer systems.|
|Wireless Wi-Fi||IEEE 802.11ac|
|Accessories||USB External Hard Drive which meets or exceed the size of the Hard drive you have.|
To purchase a laptop, visit the Dell website. You will be prompted to create an account using your @saskpolytech email before being able to view laptop options.
- Minimum recommendation: 5 Mbps download, 1 Mbps upload
- Optimal recommendation: 10 Mbps download, 5 Mbps upload or greater
- Check your internet speed HERE
Access resources to help students access and navigate the technological landscape available at Sask Polytech. Learning Technology Training - Student Support Services
This initiative is open to all full- and part-time, currently enrolled students who do not have access to a computer.
You are eligible for this program if:
- you are a currently registered Sask Polytech full- or part-time student in a program that has moved online due to the COVID-19 situation;
- you do not have access to a working computer;
- and you commit to returning the computer by the due date provided through Library Services. There is no guarantee that you will be able to renew the computer loan after the due date.
Please note that we have a limited number of laptop available for loan. Applications are processed on a first come, first served basis. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to provide laptop loans to all students who apply.
To apply for a laptop loan, please fill out the following form at https://saskpolytech.libwizard.com/f/laptoploan
Access your Sask Polytech email and calendar through the Office 365 Portal. http://portal.office.com
We recommend installing Zoom on your computer and signing in using your Sask Polytech username and password instead of using Zoom through myWorkspace.
Guide to Getting Started with Zoom
To Download Zoom, please go to to download the app for Windows or Mac.
Log In and Set Up
Zoom Desktop Client:
Find the Zoom icon on your desktop and double-click it
- Click “Sign In with SSO”
- Enter saskpolytech when prompted for the company domain
- If prompted enter your firstname.lastname@example.org and password on the login screen
Updating your Profile
- In the Zoom client, in the top right corner click on the colored box and select “Change My Picture”.
- This will open a browser window where you can now update your picture and change your display name.
Accessing Zoom Settings
- In the Zoom client, click your profile picture in the top right corner, click on “Settings” at the top right.
- On Mac, right-click the Zoom app in the Dock, select Options > Open at Login.
- About Setting
Advanced Zoom Settings
In the Zoom client, in the top right corner click on the colored box or your picture and select “Change My Picture” or “My Profile”
- Click on Settings
- Under the Meeting, find Upcoming meeting reminder.
- Click on the switch to enable it.
- Restart Zoom.
Please note: There are a number of optional settings that you can enable or disable under Settings on the Zoom web portal.
- Starred Contacts are the same as Favourites in Skype for Business
- Search for contacts
- Start an audio or video meeting within a chat
- Easily find files and images in a chat
- Send screenshots or files
- Send emoticons or GIFs
- Type your message
- Status of contacts
- Green circle = available
- Red circle = busy
- Red video camera = in an audio/video conference
- Grey circle = away
- Outline of circle = offline
- Green rectangle = on a mobile device
Join a Meeting
Multiple ways to join a meeting in Zoom
- Open the calendar event and click the link Join Zoom Meeting
- Open Zoom and on the Home tab, click Start or Join
- In Zoom, on the Meetings tab, find your meeting and click Start or Join
- If you’ve enabled Upcoming meeting reminders, click Start or Join on the desktop notification
Once the meeting has started, there are tools at the bottom of the meeting window that allow you to configure and manage various aspects of the session.
- Mute/unmute your audio (not the audio of the participants) - the menu next to the
audio icon allow you to configure your settings for audio
- Choose Join Audio by Computer to connect your computers mic and speakers to the Zoom Meeting. You can test you Audio sources by using the Test Computer Audiolink when joining.
- Choose Phone Call and dial the number provided. Enter in the Meeting ID and make sure to input the Participant ID
- Stop or start your video - the menu next to the video icon allow you to configure
your settings for video
- On the Video tab you can preview and change you camera source via the down arrow
- Security will enable the host to Lock meeting, enable waiting room, allow participants to share screen, chat and unmute participants.
- View and manage the list of participants
- Send a message to all participants or one person (private chat). By default, a message
sent in a meeting is sent to everyone.
- The dropdown on the chat window will allow you to message Everyone, or a specific participant.
- Share your desktop or select a specific application to share (e. g., Microsoft Powerpoint)
- Click Share Screen
- Choose to share your desktop, specific application, whiteboard
- All participants in your meeting can share their screen
- During screen sharing you and your attendees can use the Annotation tools for drawing, pointing, highlighting, etc.
- Record the meeting to your computer.
- As host you can enable closed caption and participants can view the same. To learn more about closed caption click here.
- Breakout rooms will allow you to split your zoom meeting in up to 50 separate sessions. The meeting host can choose to split the participants of the meeting into these seperate sessions automatically or manually and can switch between sessions at any time. To learn more about breakout rooms Click Here
- Reactions is combination of emoji which can be used during the meeting.
- End or leave the Zoom meeting.
Schedule a Meeting
- To schedule a Zoom meeting in Outlook, click on Schedule a Meeting
- You will be presented with meeting settings for you to configure
- You can turn on/off your video or participants video
- You can force participants to connect via telephone or computer audio or allow both
- You can require a meeting password for participants to join
- Alternative hosts can be a single person or multiple people. Zoom requires a host for every meeting so if you are scheduling multiple meetings at the same time with different people, or there is a possibility the host might have to leave early, etc assign an Alternative host so that the meeting will proceed. When assigning an Alternative host use the format of email@example.com
- If you have been assigned scheduling privileges in Zoom, you will see this option when scheduling a meeting.
- These options are not recommended for use.
- If you use Personal Meeting ID for a meeting and someone keeps that meeting id, they could potentially connect to any future meeting that uses your Personal Meeting ID.
- If you click Save and do not show again, any options you had set will be used for all future meetings.
Zoom on Mobile
Zoom is available for both Apple & Android Devices
App can be found in your phones app store or https://zoom.us/download
A Few Last Things
Here are some great resources to take a deeper dive into using Zoom.
- Watch Zoom's Getting Started Videos
- Join Zoom's Live and Webinar training
- YouTube Zoom How To channel
Video Conference Support
If you need further assistance, or experience issues during a video conference, contact the Helpdesk
P: 1-888-733-5333 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
myWorkspace provides a virtual Windows desktop to access software for your program (such as Microsoft Office or accounting software etc.)
Access Word, Excel, other Microsoft applications, and OneDrive file storage at http://portal.office.com
Note: Access is not available offline. If offline access is required, download and install on your computer.
To acces OneDrive, visit http://portal.office.com